Friday, May 3, 2013

Music and Its Relevance Today

Music is everywhere in the world. From the streets, to elevators, even washing machines, music plays an important part to modern culture.

According to businesshighlight.org, music has several roles in everyday life. The most common use for music is as an entertainment tool. Almost everyone has listened to music in a recreational fashion. It can help us relate to one another by shared interest. Music also helps convey a point. For instance, most rap music mentions topics such as fiscal irresponsibility, misogyny, and gay panic. However, music can also influe
nce people's choices. Some people can misinterpret the use of substance abuse in songs as tolerable, which can lead to bad choices. Music can also lead people to discriminate a certain group of people because of the music they like, or because a musician they look up to mention their opinion in song.  Some people think that music like this should be banned. However, I think that nobody deserves to have their voice silenced just because some people don't like what they have to say. Even though music can make people prejudiced, but it can also make people united under a similar cause. For example, a collaborative album was put out to help raise money for Japan after the nuclear reactor meltdown.

Music is also a major career choice for many people. Some careers in music include (according to Berklee College of Music):
Contemporary Writing and Composing
Music Business/Management
Film Scoring
Jazz Composition
Music Education

Music can also be symbolic. For instance, certain songs are played at a church or funeral, whereas others are meant for weddings, parties and celebrations. Good or bad feelings can be associated with any kind of music, however music played at important events such as these more so than others.

I see music as one of the most important aspects of my day. Listening to it in the car, composing songs, and playing instruments take up a lot of my time, but it makes me happy. I take great joy in my ability to play music; it makes me feel more connected to the music I listen to. I can't picture my life without music, though I only started playing a year ago. Since then, I have acquired a guitar, ukulele, violin, accordion, keyboard, and a kazoo. I technically started with violin, though I've had the guitar since year 5. I didn't begin composing until the fall of 2012, when I learned how to play ukulele.   Composing and playing both provide an excellent outlet to relieve stress, and allow me to creatively express myself. To anyone who feels like they can't express themselves, I urge them to try t

1 comment: